Electrical junction box is this small metal or plastic box which enclosure housing electrical connection. It is a part of an electrical conduit wiring system in a building that shields the electric connection from weather and accidental electric shocks. It is designed in-ceiling floors or concealed behind a panel particularly in commercial or domestic buildings. Sometimes they are embedded in plaster walls so that only the cover is visible from outside.
junction box is also included in building terminals for the joining of wires. A wall-mounted box is used to support switches sockets and connecting wires. These types of junction boxes are mainly used in large items such as a piece of street furniture. In a country like the UK, this junction box has mainly been termed a cabinet.
Junction boxes are the main part of the protection of the circuit system where circuit integrity has to be granted for emergency or power lines or the wiring between a nuclear reactor or a control room. In such a situation, to cover the junction box fireproofing is necessary as incoming or outgoing cables to prevent unexpected fire or a short circuit inside the box.
How junction box work?
The junction box work as a mutual meeting spot for electric wires that connect before moving onto the main circuit. These box guards are hot, neutral, grounding copper wire and some other secondary functioning lightning electric wires.
All junction boxes are covered, installed correctly, and in compliance with the applicable building quotes. They cover and protect the wire from smut, dust, and dampness from getting inside the box.
Make sure you turn off the power before working with the junction box. The hot wire is risky for a person who is working with a junction box.
What is the terminal box?
Terminal boxes are the insulated blocks that secured two or more wires together. They are mainly used in commercial places like factories to secure and terminate the wire. In their natural form, they consist of many individual terminals which are designed in long strips. The biggest advantage of using terminal boxes is the cost they incited during installation. They are the cheapest connector. It can save your time as the process of connecting wire is not as elaborated as the others. They can be effortlessly fitted using a screwdriver. You can also easily connect or disconnect while maintaining or troubleshooting. The terminal boxes are all multi-level blocks that can reduce the space up to 80%.
These terminal boxes include the multi-level of circuits with that single box. Most of the terminal boxes are made up of copper that is used to play fishing also wire. As the wires are made up of copper, their checks loosening due to changes in the expansion rate.
It also helps in decreasing corrosion which is caused by electrolytic action between two different metals. As it is made up of copper which is a good insulator of electricity it increased safety by grounding isolating and protecting other components from electric shock circuits. They are available in finger-safe Connections to prevent electrical shock.
How to select a terminal or a junction box
Both terminal and junction box are used in house electrical components and two facilitating wired.
- Selection: While selecting a junction box or terminal box adequate protection and the correct size must be the priority of the selector. When you consider the protection, professional rating, material type, and the system should be their determining factor. Some of the additional features like battery compartment, doors bays, and inner panels can be the factors for choosing the type of box.
- Types of materials used in the junction box or a terminal box: the persistence and the amount of stability of a terminal or a junction box depend largely on the material used in making them. most of the boxes are made of the materials classified as their polymers or metals
- Polymers: They are non-metals, that have various properties depending on the materials they are made up of. Some of the materials used for making the polymers are ABS, fiberglass, polycarbonate, polystyrene. ABS has a good chemical and crepe resistance property made up of hard rigid and inexpensive thermoplastic polymer. But sometimes, they are prone to fracturing under excessive heat. Polystyrene is used for dimensional stability rigidity and hardness as it is easy to fabricate. Fiberglass is a strong durable and reinforced polymer. Polycarbonate is also an excellent material that had a great impact on strength and can be molded in tight tolerance, but can be moderate to chemical corrosion.
- Metal: Metal is generally dependent on its conductivity both in electricity and heat than the other material types. Steel is used because of its durability and malleability for the enclosure of the box. Rather than using standard steel, stainless steel is used in the inclusion of boxes as they are a resistant and lightweight material. Sometimes in place of stainless steel, aluminum is used as they are also lightweight, more conductive, and less expensive material compared to stainless steel. They are also resistant to oxidation.
- Shape and size of junction or terminal box
The shape and size of the junction or terminal box depend on the design of the component being used in making the box. They are generally T- shaped or rectangular made from materials that are available in various sizes. The size and shape also depend on the configuration of sealing and mounting styles. The outer box may come in standardized dimensions that can be stacked for assembly or build to particular specifications according to the requirement of the customers.
The function and the durability of the terminal and the junction box are almost similar to each other. But when it comes to its safety, the junction box is the most appropriate. The professionals always recommend using or install a junction box rather than a terminal box. This is because to avoid overload of electricity which is the main cause of potential electric fire in commercial buildings or house.