Our home office or factory is one of the most important places we live or work for half of our life. We do many things to protect belongings from damage. One of the main components of our house or office is the electrical system. Every household appliance required a large amount of electric energy to run. Hence, we should take safety measures while handling electricity. It can be very disastrous and hazardous when there are voltage fluctuations due to a power surge. With the coming of new technology, our inventors have invented many such devices. They help in stabilizing voltage fluctuation protect us from any hazardous events caused due to electrical mishaps. One such technology is MCBor MCB.
What is MCB(MCB)?
MCBpopularly known as MCB is an electrical switch, which is automatically operated to protect low voltage electric circuit damage by excess current from overload. It is typically rated up to the current 125A. They are the small device which helps to break the circuit when there is an excess supply of electricity. These devices are generally placed instead of fuse. Based on the type of building and electrical appliances used in the building MCB can be installed. It is always advisable to install an MCB in homes or buildings.
How MCB works:
There is two management of the operation in MCB. These are thermal and electromagnetic effects of over current. The thermal operation of MCB is achieved with the bimetallic strip. Whenever there is an increase in the flow of current in a circuit, the bimetallic strip gets heated and bends which deflects it from the circuit. Due to this, it releases a mechanical latch. As the latch is fixed to the operating mechanism, it causes to open the MCB contact. But, in the case of a short circuit, a certain increase in the flow of current causes electromechanical displacement of the plunger which is connected to the solenoid of the MCB. The striking of the plunger causes immediate release of the latch mechanism, which breaks the circuit system.
Some of the advantage of installing MCB
Let us see the advantages of installing MCB in our building are:
- Electrical panel in homes: By installing MCB in the house, there would be less power fluctuation. They safeguard our home from electrical disasters. They have the capacity of handling a large amount of electricity. They are more reliable than fuse as they ensure equal distribution of electrical energy in different appliances of the house.
- The lighting of the house: Our house is usually decorated with many types of bulbs. This MCB is very effective in distributing electrical energy. Like fluorescent lights requires a huge amount of electrical energy as compared to other light bulbs. They maintain the safety and quality of light bulbs.
- Heaters: People living at high altitudes prefer to have heaters in their room or office for avoiding the extreme cold. MCB is always a dependable safety solution for this cause. The heater requires a huge amount of energy from the main supply. Due to this, we may face a large amount of voltage fluctuation. Nevertheless, this problem can easily be eradicated by installing MCBor MCB. There are various types of MCB depending upon the load of the power supply.
- Appliances in Industries: In a commercial establishment, MCB plays a very important role. They can be used as safety mechanisms in large and small-scale industries. Industries mostly require 30kA of power supply. In such a case, MCB is much better than the old fuse. They maintain the efficiency and installation of various appliances by optimizing the flow of energy. Commercial MCB is mainly used in bakeries, hotels, and supermarkets.
- Arc fault mechanism: MCB can be used along with the ground or arc-fault mechanism. This type of fault usually occurs when a live wire comes into contact with a transmitter system, which is not part of the circuit system. Due to this, there is an excess rate of the current flow with the fault in the circuit. At this point, MCB initiates a magnetic tripping mechanism and corrects the circuit system.
- MCB is a reusable device that means a low cost of replacement and maintenance.
Types of MCBs
MCBis classified into five types according to tripping range of fault current. The tripping protection is one-fourth second.
- Type B MCB: this type of MCB generally trips between 3 and 5 times full load current. It is generally used in the residential application for lighting personal appliance, which has resistive elements. This can also be used in electronic appliances or computers. The main functions of Type B MCB are to control the overloads and short circuits.
- Type C MCB: this type of MCB generally trips between 5 and 10 times full load current. It is generally used in industrial applications for lighting heavy machinery, which has more chances to short circuit current. These are mainly inductive. This MCB is used in small transformers, pilot devices, and coils. The main functions of Type C MCB are to control the overloads, short circuits, and protection from inductive loads having low inrush current.
- Type D MCB: this type of MCB generally trips between 10 and 20 times full load current. It is generally used in industrial application for lighting heavy machinery which has the high rush of current, for example, X-ray machines. The main functions of Type D MCB are to control the overloads and short circuits and protection from inductive loads having high inrush current.
- Type K MCB: this type of MCB generally trips between 8 and 12 times full load current. It is generally used in industrial application for lighting heavy machinery which has a high rush of current. This can also be used in inductive and motor loads.
- Type Z MCB: this type of MCB generally trips between 2 and 3 times full load current. It is generally used in highly sensitive devices like semiconductor devices.
The only disadvantage of MCB is that it is must costlier than the old fuse system. But when we think of safety we would compromise its expensiveness. Effective installation of the miniature circuit can ensure the safety of your home or any commercial buildings from any kind of electrical damages. Always make sure that you buy use a registered MCB. It will improve the overall management of the power supply in the circuit.