A junction box is commonly found near buildings and properties. It is a housing for electrical connections. It has one outlet and one connection that allow power to travel from one appliance to another.
As this box contains electrical lines and components, it is very important to ensure it is safe and protected from environmental factors.
Because of this reason, weatherproof junction boxes are used. These boxes are designed to sustain extreme weather conditions to prevent problems like a power outage.
If you want to know more about weatherproof junction boxes and their advantages, follow this article.
What Is A Weatherproof Junction Box?
A weatherproof junction box is a convenient, cost-efficient, and effective means of protecting electrical components of a building from damage during adverse weather conditions.
It is commonly used in residential as well as commercial applications to help protect equipment from the damaging effects of rain, snow, wind, sun, and other naturally occurring conditions.
Using these devices, electricians can safely and securely shelter electrical equipment from damaging sunlight, rain, snow, or extreme temperatures.
In fact, a properly installed weatherproof junction box can help prevent damage to electrical equipment even during heavy snowfall.
Advantages of Weatherproof Junction Box:
Here are some of the advantages of using a weatherproof junction box.
- Durable: An important thing to note about a weatherproof junction box is that it lasts for a long time. Most weatherproof boxes that are available today are built to withstand strong winds and extreme temperatures. It is made using stainless steel and thermoplastic. These materials are strong and sturdy, which makes the weatherproof junction box extremely durable.
- Security: Another advantage of weatherproof junction boxes is that they provide additional security. Your weatherproof junction box will be well protected from the elements as it is made of strong and durable material. As there will be no damage due to weather conditions, it offers more safety and security.
- Shock Resistant: These junction boxes are made to resist impact. It means if someone accidentally touches it will not get shocked. Polycarbonate material is used to make this type of box so that it can provide shock resistance.
- Protection against Weather: Extreme weather conditions like heat, humidity, rainfall and snowfall can damage the junction box outside your home. However, the weatherproof junction box is designed for enduring extreme cold and heat. It offers protection against weather conditions.
- Protection against Damage: Weather is not the only thing that can damage junction boxes. Lots of damage happen due to short circuit, sparks, loose connections, etc. However, weatherproof junction boxes can sustain these damages.
- Aesthetic Appeal: When looking for a weatherproof box, you will be surprised by the number of choices that are available. A weatherproof junction box could be made of metal, fibre or plastic. These weatherproof boxes are available in different designs, colours and sizes, and they also come in various materials. It will not lose colour or get rusted. This will add aesthetic appeal to your building.
- Flexibility and Reliability: Weatherproof junction boxes offer flexibility and reliability as it protects all the wires from damages. You can easily install a CCTV camera and safeguard the wire in the junction box to prevent tampering.